The Council Chair is the senior member of the Council, usually in his/her 5th year of service on the Council. The primary responsibility is to identify issues and accomplish goals as set by the Council during its Fall and Spring meetings or as determined by correspondence between meetings. The Council Chair works closely with the Executive Vice President and with the staff provided by the SF Association Management Services (SF AMS), a subsidiary of the AAO.
Council Chair responsibilities include:
- participate in the selection of future committee members, Council members, and Officers.
- consider the qualifications of all candidates proposed for membership in the Society, their scientific attainments, and the reports of the Committee on Membership.
- consider the report of the Committee on Theses and accept for membership the candidates with accepted theses or those with minor revisions about to be revised within a month.
- fill any vacancy that may occur in any office or Committee position of the Society between one Annual Meeting and the next.
- exercise due diligence in reviewing and approving the budget and financial reports of the AOS.
- serving on the Audit Committee, Investment Committee, and Nominating Committee of the Society.